The Tesla Model S sedan made its world debut last month at Elon Musk's Space X facility in Hawthorne, CA.
In addition to announcing various details on the car, Musk reiterated his confidence in the eventual success of the program. "I have zero doubt that this car will be manufactured," Musk told the assembled press.
Here's a basic rundown of the details that Musk divulged during his questions and answer sessions with reporters:
- Range: approximately 300 miles
- Fast charge capability: 45 minutes
- Battery pack can be swapped out in less time that it takes to fill a typical gas tank
- 0-to-60mph in less than 6.0-seconds. Top speed: 135mph
- Approximate weight: 4,000 pounds
- Aluminum body panels
- Single speed transmission
- 7-passenger capacity via two rear-facing seats in the cargo area
- Cost: $49,900 after federal tax credit
Find more info and pre-order your Model S at the Tesla Motors web site: